Ivy Avenue School was built in 1903 to be a grammar school. The high school district rented the building from the grammar school district because it had no money at the time to build it's own school. The high school students and the first, second, and third grades were moved from Orange Avenue School into the new building. A second building was added in 1912. They were used as the high school for twenty-six years. When the high school moved to its present location in 1929, Ivy Avenue became a school for seventh and eighth graders.
In 1936, the first building was torn down and the second building was rebuilt. The school was soon renamed Clifton School after a former principal. In 1970, sixth grade classes were added to the school.